Monday, April 21, 2008

potty mistakes

i haven't mentioned potty training in a while, but we have been working on it. My goal was to have Little J able to tell us when he needed to go to the bathroom, by the time the new baby was born. That hasn't happened, btw. Little J refuses to tell us if he needs to go, but as long as I remember to insist he tries regularly, he's able to keep his underwear dry. The newest thing we've been trying, is to encourage him to go by himself. He's able to do almost all of the seperate steps without help, so his daddy and I have been telling him that he can go to the bathroom and pee when he needs to. Usually, he still wants mommy or daddy to help him out.

Yes, and this morning, he showed that he's been listening. I was busy with the baby, and he decided that he needed to pee. He opened the bathroom door, went in, took his undies off....i'm not sure what happened then, but when I was able to put the baby down and went in to check, there was pee all over the floor, he had the stepstool by the toilet (even with the step, he's not tall enough to sit on the toilet by himself, poor boy) and he went to get the sesame street toilet seat to sit on. So, I helped him finish up, put his underwear back on, and sent him to play. Then I cleaned up all the pee. Oh well! He's trying, and I'm so proud of him.

Thinking about it (and the possible trajectories) I think he probably did manage to get onto the toilet, but not back far enough before he started to pee. So it all went on the floor, instead on in the toilet. I think, i may need to get a new toilet seat for him to use.

No comments: