Saturday, February 17, 2007

mantra: knit 1, purl 2

Knitting is one of the good things in life. And, I use it often to calm myself down.

People who are compulsive, often have familiar habits that they do for comfort; rocking, counting, repetitive motions. Me, I'm not compulsive, but the repeated knitted motion is very very soothing. I don't have to think, I can count stitches, and let my hands do the same motions over and over.

Yes, I'm a bit stressed today. Weekends tend to be rough, I have to interact with my family ;) I think I'll go knit some more...

2 comments:

Keppy Boone said...

OMG tell me about it. I was just telling DH something similar this past weekend. I put a knitted piece in front of him (I can't remember exactly what it was) and said, "You see how the stitches are so straight and aligned? And each repeat is so organized? THAT is why I knit! It gives me a sense of calm and even a sense of satisfaction that in my cluttered and crazy life, even *I* can produce something uniform and controlled." He kind of looked at me like I'm crazy, but who cares if he gets it, right? LOL You are not alone, Marigold. :-)

Marigold said...

Thanks so much! LOL! My husband tends to look at me as if I'm crazy, especially when I'm chortling over new yarn or a pattern, and very especially when I start cursing while I'm frogging.