Sunday, April 01, 2007

Baby Milestones

Little J is soo neato! I'm so proud of him! He peed in his potty, and he told Mommy that he would have to go!

That's the baby speak. I've been talking about myself in the third person for wayyy too long. To use adult speak, we've been accustoming Jaiden to using his potty. We have toys and things that he can play with when he sits on his little white potty, and at first, we praised him just for sitting on it. After he was more familiar with it, I put him on it at times he was likely to need to pee, like when waking up in the morning or after a nap, after he had nursed, or after meals. We praised him for going in the potty, and told him when he was peeing on the floor(which has happened. I would not want to do potty training in a carpeted bathroom). And, I ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom and use the potty when he acts like he needs to go. And this evening, he took my hand, took me to the bathroom, and peed in the potty! Yay! It's working! I'm not expecting him to be totally using the toilet anytime soon, but this will help make using the toilet an easier experience. Things I've read say that on average, a child who starts getting used to the potty around his age are usually potty-trained (to the extent of telling their parent when they need to go, and maybe wearing underpants) by 24 months old.

Back in January, I had noticed a blog that mentioned potty training for infants, and I wrote about how I would like to do it with Little J. I ordered a couple books from amazon (Infant Potty Training by Laurie Boucke, Early-Start Potty training by Linda Sonna )and they gave me ideas on how to start doing it. We've been doing it for a couple weeks, and I'm really happy about it. I will say, it's encouraged me to clean my bathroom, b'cause I'm spending a heck of a lot of time in there. Sitting on the floor, even!

No comments: