Thursday, May 03, 2007

Book List

Little J slept most of the morning (on my lap. If I tried to put him down, he woke up, cried, and wiggled back on top of me) so I had hours to read in. These are the books I finished today.

  • By Scandalous Tongues, Mercedes Lackey and Roberta Gellis
  • The Crown of Dalemark, Diana Wynne Jones
  • Scandal in Spring, Lisa Kleypas

Grace asked for my opinion on Anne McCaffrey's Maelstrom. It's the second of the "Twins of Petaybee" series. (BTW Grace, I like your pictures :) That's after the events described in Powers that Be, Power Lines, and Power Play. The son and daughter of a bioengineered selkie are endangered when they move new aquatic creatures to their home planet. And did I mention, their planet is sentient? I enjoyed this book, becuase I have been attached to the characters in the previous books for years. However, if a new reader picked this book up, while the characters are engaging, the plot was a little scattered. It bounces between different scenes a bit too rapidly for my tastes. And there are a glomp of loose ends, left, I suppose, to be tied up in the next book of the series. But Grace, if you love everything else by Anne McCaffrey, go ahead and read this, it's a pretty good book, that adds more depth to some of her old characters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I have Power Lines and read it, but haven't read the other two. I should do that and then read Maelstrom. I love Anne McCaffrey. I even like the books her son has put out. He's done a great job carrying on the "history" Pern.

Thanks for the synopsis and opinion!