Monday, May 21, 2007

Gardening; My other time consuming Hobby


I took pictures, and I wanted to share them with y'all. This first pic, is my garden at the Community Garden. Ignore the dock and other weeds in the foreground, my garden starts after the little path. So far, I've got four 4x4 foot square plots, and the strip on the left of the picture where we planted flowers. They haven't sprouted yet; I wonder what the germination time for sunflowers is?



This is my first plot that I put in, the lettuces are bigger, and it has the most stuff. It's mostly lettuce, but, hey, I like lettuce. The white frame arching over the plot are 10 foot pvc pipes, that I used with plastic sheeting to protect it from frost. I admit it, I was in a bit of a hurry to plant things, and the warm snap had me fooled.

This is a close up of one of my broccoli plants. Two of them, the two I planted earliest, have little broccoli flower heads starting already. Is that not Nifty?




I want to plant more lettuces and radishes, and I have plans to plant some things in raised beds by our garage. Tomatoes, squash, melons...yummy, yummy...I just need to get the beds put together. Soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love fresh broccoli. This is my first year in 7 years that I will not have a summer garden.(Moving) Enjoy yours!

Rhonda said...

I love your garden! I am hoping to start one over at the new house, but we may be a little too late in the season for most things by the time we get moved in. I am trying my hand at container gardening so at least some things can be moved...Have you ever canned any of your tomatoes?